Over the past few years, Spain’s very own Rafa Barrios has made quite a name for himself. He has the support of Carl Cox, Chus & Ceballos, Hot Since 82, Mark Knight Richie Hawtin, and has releases on Intec Digital, Knee Deep in Sound, Stereo Productions, and Toolroom. Rafa has also played at some of the biggest nightclubs and festivals around the world such as Heart Nightclub in Miami, The BPM Festival, and Space Ibiza. I spoke to Rafa Barrios about his thoughts on the electronic music scene, upcoming collaborations, and the highlight of his career.
1. What motivates you to make a dance floor hit?
My primary motivation is to move the dance-floor; I am not able to do something where people just listen and do not dance.
2. What are your thoughts on the present and future of electronic music?
The future of electronic music is moving fast; There are many producers and lots of excellent music. It’s hard to stand out from so many real people.
3. Do you have any upcoming collaborations, or is there anyone with whom you would like to work in the future?
I have several open collaborations, but I will not say anything until they are finished (LOL).
4. At what point in your life did you decide you wanted a career in electronic music? Do you have any experience playing musical instruments?
I started playing Drum’n’Bass at the age of 14, but until I was 25, I did not decide what I really wanted to do. From this point on, I bet everything to reach my target. I have no experience playing musical instruments.
5. Do you have a favorite moment in your career? Which one is it?
I have so many beautiful moments in my career, but for me, the most important was when Chus & Pablo (Chus & Ceballos) gave me the opportunity to play with them outside of Spain. That is something that I will never forget in my life.